Search

Sunday, November 21, 2010

HOW TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL TECHNOPRENEUR?

My reflection/learning's on Technopreneurship 1

    I marked the subject course Technopreneurship 1 as full of creativity,wisdom, knowledge and fun. I enrolled in this subject without me knowing that it would not be a simple battle for me to win. I spent a lot of effort just to make passing close to reality. Well, that includes making on the class on time and trying not to sink my head when preparing written documents like this one! Ha-ha. You know, I really do struggle with putting my ideas and thoughts on paper that's why my writing skills may be a little rusty. Nah, I mean, not little. Maybe this is just one of the lessons I learned in the said subject though it was not some sort of English 101.
The activities and lectures conducted and discussed in the scope of this subject were never became boring. Our facilitator did an excellent job in imparting us knowledge and information regarding this matter. Honestly, I hate business-related subjects not because I find them uninteresting; I just suck on this field. However, I do of course thought of having my own business but I never thought I could have the ability not to make stay as a thought only. Listening to the lectures on this subject not only gave me knowledge about technopreneurship but also confidence and motivations.

        As far as I can remember, we first discussed about the definition of technopreneurship. If you didn’t know this yet, Technopreneurship is simply entrepreneurship in the field of high technology. For you to be called a technopreneur, you must be engaged into innovative technology venture through developing new technology products or even services. Sounds hard? Yes, it is really is! As what I’ve learned during the entire course, getting into this field is not easy as it may seem. I learned that not everyone has the capacity and the capability to become successful in this area. Even though you have all the resources necessary, you can’t still assure triumph. Only a very few people make the journey to thriving businesses. And it is the decisions that these people take that makes them shine like crazy diamonds in a world full of diminishing and dimming pebbles. The term decisions that I am using here are not just about decisions made by the use of your head only. I learned that it is not intelligence or ideas alone make a business prosper. Even though this matters a lot, this must not be the entire baseline in every decisions or actions a technopreneur will have. Ideas are important to start a business. Ideas that guaranteed to work, that is. However, in order to ensure that your idea becomes a real world success, you will have to take pains to measure its feasibility. Measuring its feasibility means knowing your self, interacting and coping with other people and the environment. These were the reasons why we engage into the first topic in SEED Model—Self-Mastery. Self-mastery is knowing one’s self, very obvious huh? Hehe. As what our instructor said, “Self-mastery brings passion”. “When you know yourself, you know what you want and do not want”, he added. I definitely agree with him. I think it is paramount important to know yourself before engaging into business because I believe that your business is actually yourself. It is a reflection of your own personality. It represents what you know and what you love to do best. It stands for what you are good at and what you love. I remember we did an activity where in we were ask by our instructor to list all the things we love, best at and irritants. I wrote there things all about art such as sketching, crafting, drawing, and other art related thingy for ‘love’ and ‘best at’ sections, and “cockroaches” for the last (hmm. Far out =P ). I realized that I really love art indeed! LOL. After that activity, I learned that we should never engage in anything that we do not know anything about even if we can afford to hire the “best brain” that can implement our plans for us. And also considering the fact that other person’s brain may not really be able to neither understand the depth of our passion nor grasp what we really like to do in the real sense. There is nothing like being” hands-on” in the business; more so when we are just starting. This is the reason why before engaging ourselves into technopreneurship or even on other kind of venture, we must first think of the things we love to do. As what Steve Jobs said, we can’t do great if we don’t love what we are doing. In my case, I love art. But I also consider the facts that there are a lot of art related businesses and the competition in the market is fierce. So, I guess the best thing to do is to sell and promote my products in different approach—unique approach. Arts are not limited only to drawing and alike; there are a lot to do with art and it could offer you other than the traditional art we know. What I am saying is that we must become innovative while staying in the field we love. Sticking into what is normal will not make us the person we like to become.


            Aside from the activity I mentioned earlier, we also conducted 4 more activities that would help us measure and know ourselves more. Those activities were actually tests—personality test, emotional quotient test, adversity quotient test, and intelligence quotient test. These tests are necessary in assessing one’s self and for career planning process. I learned that knowing your skills, values, interests, and personality are important for the success of your career choice. As what I’ve always pointing out, ideas or intelligence alone are not the only bases for you to be called an entrepreneur, and not just entrepreneur, but successful entrepreneur. I believe your skills, talent, knowledge, personality, and strengths will be your best assets in any cases. And if you gonna ask me about my results on the tests, well, I can tell you they were satisfying. They were not bad as I expected they would. I remember, we took the personality test as our prelim exam. The test was not hard, it composed of situations (common) that would measure your personality by calculating your responses. I wondered that time why we need to test our personality. Even though I know that I still have to know what my subconscious mind is doing, I never thought that testing our personality is vital in business. It was when our instructor gave us his talk. According to him, your personality affects everything in your life. That might be personal relationship or professional associations. It is who you are. It the way people see you, the way they will interact with you and the way you interact with them. Your personality will ultimately define how effectively you work with people and how they work with you. So, doesn't it make sense that you should have a realistic understanding of your personality before you get started in any important new life event? Indeed, learning how people see you is a very positive step toward promoting yourself effectively especially in business where in you will be more into interacting with other people.





           And with my Emotional Quotient test? Outstanding! I mean above average. LOL. FYI,this test measures the people’s ability to collaborate, network, socialize, negotiate, and cooperate or simply the capacity for effectively recognizing and managing our own emotions and those of others. I suck on socializing and negotiating part of the test that’s why I only got this rating. Our instructor said that EQ is the primary determinant of success than IQ. At the start, I did not agree with him ‘cause I really thought Intelligence matters most in businesses. It was until he gave his talk again (lol). He said emotions have the potential to get in the way of our most important business relationships. A lack of EQ is the main reason promising careers derail. He said that successful entrepreneurs were not necessarily gifted with IQ and that it has virtually nothing to do with success in life. What they actually have is EQ. I guess I don’t have any reason to argue with him anymore since I proved it myself by reading inspiring articles about businesses.
And about my AQ? As good as my EQ. At first I got confuse with the difference of AQ from EQ. Maybe the first letter? Just kidding. According to the site 
http://hi.baidu.com/geovindu/blog/item/c492d288163c3a9fa4c27282.html, EQ (Emotional Intelligence Quotient, abbreviated as EQ), is to manage their own emotions and interpersonal capabilities while AQ (Adversity Intelligence Quotient, abbreviated as AQ), refers to the ability to pressure the face of adversity, or, and capabilities. Therefore, AQ measures how stoic a person is, and proposes that the more stoic one is, the more he can resist failure. It makes sense, because when you don't break or give up in extreme conditions, you are bound to succeed. However, it forgets that the person may be stoic, but may also be reticent and aloof, and therefore alienated. He may not have money, people network, love, happiness and consequently balance in his life. He might be a successful fighter, but may have picked the wrong fights (or is often on the wrong side). Does that account for success? 

         At last about my IQ. I was quite impressed with the result. I thought I have a very very low IQ. Yey! I have not. Too good to know also that in businesses we don’t actually need to be kinda smart. Because if we do, I think I am no space for this field. However, even if IQ is not the primary thing we need in business, it still plays important role in running our business. Intelligence is something our culture particularly values, and it can certainly be counted among the more desirable things to have in life. With intelligence, we can have the ability for complex thinking and reasoning, and the processes, such as attention and memory, that support it, it’s an asset in helping people stay motivated and meet long-term goals. But again, IQ alone fails to achieve a high position.
On the class, aside from those tests, we were also asked to make our personal vision or goals in life. According our mentor, a vision is a picture or idea you have in your mind of yourself, your business, or anything that is going to happen. A clear vision helps you pursue dreams and achieve goals; an idea of the future, a strong wish. A vision that is clear will open your mind to the endless possibilities of the future. Thinking that I am not a child anymore, that I can no longer depend on my parents for everything, that I also need to live my own life and create my own career success is quite hard indeed. Over the years, I have been thinking of my goals in life, but I always turn out trapped in goals I didn’t really choose. I mean I can’t actually point out what I want to become. This feeling ended until I realized that like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates; little by little somehow I could make my own vision. Now, fortunately I had realized how the future will hold me. Though I can’t tell exactly how it will be, in some way I can assure it will be good. I love this topic because I learned that a vision actually will help you to overcome obstacles in the way and helps you hold on when times are tough. And a vision that is well defined helps you to focus and create a purpose that becomes your measurement for your success. And if you do not have a vision of who you want to be, how you want to succeed or what you want out of life, you begin to lack drive and your life becomes just an order of events =).  



            The last highlighted activity I remember was our Business Proposal Presentation--about Techno Business. Waaaahh. This activity was really a tough one. We did 3 or 4 presentations I guess just to make our instructors thumb up. We did a lot of brainstorming. I and my group mates did all the things we can. We even gathered all the things we love to do and best at just to generate a good business plan but we still ended with a mistake. We were not aware that time that all we need to have was a unique proposal. A business proposal that would surely click. But it was hard to think a unique plan. It was until our group mate thought of something wonderful. We ended in a webpage with amazing content—online live streaming of cockfights or simply online derby. I think it was a great idea since cockfighting nowadays became one of the famous game or shall we say a famous legal gamble and if be brought to the internet world, a lot of money will be raise for sure. You know, I think one of the best things I learned from this activity, we should be aware of our environment because there are a lot of business ideas and opportunities out from our surroundings. They are just there, waiting to be discovered.

          This subject was indeed a remarkable one. I did gain a lot of knowledge and wisdom. If you gonna ask me what I don’t like with this subject? Maybe the subject description…I hate to spell it. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comments...